The Secret History | Book Review



Published in 1992, I might be 27 years too late to rave about this book, but I'll do it anyway.

This isn't the first book from Donna Tartt that I've read, even though it should be. I read The Goldfinch couple years ago, mainly because people were so excited about it. Turns out, Tartt isn't one of those authors who published new book every three years or so. People were waiting for a decade for her to release something. Now I understand why they were so eager. Had I read The Secret History first, I might be one of them, and I might ended up more disappointed because I didn't enjoy The Goldfinch that much.

With that being said, I love The Secret History a lot more than The Goldfinch.

The complexity of every characters is what compelled me the most. There's nothing black and white about this book. It's full of terrible people, and yet you'll find yourself deeply sympathetic even towards the worst of them all. Henry is my most favourite character, despite the fact that he was the reason all hell broke loose. Even though I feel bad for Richard, the narrator of the story, he isn't actually a great guy. Camilla supposed to be the lovely one, but I find her so manipulative I almost hate her. I don't think I'm the only one who feel sad for Bunny--the bigot. I thought Charles will be my most favourite, and yet... well, I'm trying to make this review spoiler free. I honestly don't know what to say about Francis.

So imagine how complicated every characters are. But that's the thing! That's what makes them... human. We are complicated creature. And that's why I feel the story is weirdly relatable. I might do what each characters did if I happened to be in their position--knock on wood, tho.

This is a murder story, where the mystery isn't rely on who, how, or what happened. They tell you right away: who died, who did it, how, and why. The story digs deep into each character's personality and interactions between them. What's moral become questionable--debatable even. When I was done, I found myself wondering; how else should it ended? Who's in the wrong here?

And I. Just. Can't. Stop. Thinking. About. It.

(P.S. I believe Bunny was the victim of his family. I hate the Corcorans.)

________________

The Secret History by Donna Tartt
Good Reads: 4.09/5
Book-Bosomed: 4.5 stars out of 5

Comments