Top 10 Reads of 2018





It's hard to believe tomorrow is already 2019. I haven't even gotten used to 2018! Three of my closest friends got married this year, which was awesome. I got to rekindled with some old pals while cutting off the toxic ones. I got to learn a valuable life lesson thru an unpleasant experience and came out very, very, grateful. It felt like I was blindfolded and now I finally see the world in different light--a better and hopeful light.

So yeah, personally, 2018 is the year I will forever treasure.

Ugh, I'm being too sentimental. Let's just get into business.

Just like the last time, as the year about to end I'll put up my top 10 reads of the past twelve months. I didn't read as many as I did last year, but there were a lot of good ones this time that I find it excruciating to rank them. But I'll try.

Here are my top 10 reads of 2018, with #1 being my most favourite.

Bear in mind, I love them all (almost) equally!


#10 - Freakonomics by Levitt and Dubner

Doesn't centered around one theme, this book is unquestionably one of a kind. Never read a nonfiction more random than this, yet I find it very intriguing. Filled with interesting statistics about both provocative and mundane topics. Not sure where I can actually apply my knowledge from this book, tho. But it's still cool to know some stuff like that. Who wouldn't want to know what schoolteachers and sumo wrestlers have in common?


#9 - The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg 

Understanding how habit works is the key to control it. And by changing our habit is the key to changing our lives. That's why I believe this book is an important read for everyone. I recently wrote a review post of this book, here's the link; The Power of Habit | Book Review


#8 - The Hate U Give by Angel Thomas

To know that this is her first book, shows what a talented writer she is. It's one of those books that are important because of the messages it gives and at the same time very well-written, emotionally-charged, unputdownable one heck of a YA book. The great thing is, you don't have to be African-American to relate to her story.


#7 - Atonement by Ian McEwan

One of the best period movies I've watched but never read the book until earlier this year. I thought since I already knew the ending, it won't hurt me as much as the first time I watched the movie. Turns out, it was worse. Knowing what was coming, every scenes, every dialogue from the very beginning felt like a torture. The suspense it built, the way it's beautifully written, resulting in me being mentally traumatised by the end of it.


#6 - Turtles All The Way Down by John Green

Out of all Green's books that I've read (four of them, including The Fault in Our Stars), I like this one the best. Green successfully depicts the struggle of the main character's mental illness which adds depth to the whole story. It made me understand a lot more about what those people with the illness alike are going through. Full review here.


Now we're onto the Top 5... ready?



#5 - The Help by Kathyrn Stockett

What a true page turner. 621 pages is nothing with writing style and storyline like this. It was so absorbing that I practically lived in it. It's heartbreaking and delightful altogether. I know this book was published years ago and you probably have read it. But if you haven't, do yourself a favour and go get this book. It doesn't matter if you've recently watched the movie, the book will still blow you away.


#4 - Emotional Intelligence by Daniel Goleman

How does emotion part of the brain works? Why is it matter? How to control it? This book answers those questions and more. It gives us an entirely new way of looking at the root causes of many of the ills of our families and society. Although this book is almost two decades old, the information it provides is still as applicable as it was ever.


#3 - All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr

Written as two parallel stories, this book has the most hauntingly beautiful prose I've ever read. It's crazy suspenseful that I was worried the climax won't be as good as the story leading up to it. And thank God it didn't disappoint. The interaction between the two main characters when they finally meet towards the very end isn't the typical wartime love story. It's much, much, better. So much better.


#2 - Thinking Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman

I can't remember the last time I read something this tough that took me legit two months to finish. But don't worry, Kahneman managed to make it understandable for psychology and behavioural economics novices like myself. It answers a lot of questions on why we think and behave the way we do, and much more. It'll rearrange the way we perceive things like happiness and life in general. At the very least, it helped me understand myself better. I didn't even know that I didn't know myself that much. Hands down, this is the most intellectually rewarding book on human mind that I've ever read.


Before we get to the #1, let me put some honorary mentions. Those that are great, but didn't make the cut.

  1. Aroma Karsa oleh Dee Lestari
  2. Mindset by Dr. Carol Dweck
  3. Kuasa Media di Indonesia oleh Ross Tapsell

And now, the winner of Book-Bosomed Top Ten Reads of 2018 is...
*drumroll please*


#1 - The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Yup, yup, yup. If you're a keen reader of my blog, which you should be because I don't write often so you can't miss a lot, you must've guessed the winner easily. Just look at how excited my review was of this book (ONLY IF YOU HAVE READ IT; IT CONTAINS MAJOR SPOILER!).
Here are the main reasons why I put The Book Thief as my number one this year; 1. It usually took me at least 50 pages to get a hang of a historical fiction, but for this one, I was hooked from the very beginning; 2. The story is narrated by death, which quadrupled the awesomeness point in this ranking system; 3. Rudy Steiner. 

Who am I kidding? Rudy Steiner should be the number 1 reason and deservedly so.


__________________________


That's it! Thank you for being interested enough to read my list of Top Ten Reads. I feel like I should read more newly published books next year, don't you think so? The thing is, I have a long TBR list that makes it difficult to keep up with newly published ones. I intended to make it more flexible next year as part of my resolution.

How about you? Do you have your own top reads of the year list? I would love to know! If I haven't read your favourite, I'll consider it for my 2019 read.

See you next year!

Comments