Crazy Rich Asians | Paper vs Screen



Woah, it's been awhile since I wrote something here. And if you've noticed, I've been kinda slow posting on Instagram as well. Not that I'm that busy, but I have a lot of things on my mind, and sometimes days go by and I just forgot to post something. My bad.

Okay, without further ado, let's get into the topic of this post; Crazy Rich Asians | Paper vs Screen.

To all of you who have read the book before watching it, might find it quite distracting because you keep on noticing the differences they made between the book and the movie. Not gonna blame you, it's HUGE. From the moment it started, it wasn't supposed to be Nick's dad who bought the hotel, right? It was supposed to be Astrid's. Peik Lin (and the rest of her eccentric family) wasn't supposed to know who Nick is, or even his family. It was supposed to be a mystery of how rich Nick Young is. Not to mention Charlie, the important character in Astrid's story, never showed up until the very last second after the credit. And where the hell is Francesca? How about Sophie? And the ending? Did I skip the part when Nick proposed in the book? I don't think so.

Aaaaanyway... put the differences aside, I can't believe I will ever say this ever; I think the movie is better than the book. Yup, you read it right. I can't remember the last time I'm pro-movie and not the book.

When I finished reading Crazy Rich Asians months ago, I said it on my Instagram post that I think the story will be presented better visually (by the way, I wrote a short review on the book on my Instagram feed. Check it out!). I got the answer from the trailer. It looks promising. I was so excited for the movie to show up in my country and can't wait to see it. One, because it's always interesting to see a story that you've read brought to screen. Two, because Henry freaking Golding is in it! Oh, man, I've been in love with that guy since back in the day I lived in Kuala Lumpur and a friend of mine urged me to watch one of his shows. Never regret that I did. And now he's a movie star? A Hollywood one? Good Lord.

Okay, enough about Henry. Back to the movie.

What I find funny is that the one thing I loved the most in the book was Astrid's story. I think it's the most interesting and complex one, and her character was one of the few (if not only) characters who had some development from beginning to end. Yet, they omit a lot of her drama in the movie. Almost like it didn't matter at all. But I don't blame them. Two hours is not a lot.

Although my favourite part is being cut down, they compensate it with better Nick-Rachel-Eleanor storyline. At least in this movie, Rachel and Eleanor have a WAY lot more interactions, Nick actually do something, and they have closure! As cheesy as it is, it's still something.
I know the lack of closure in the book was meant for the sequel (which I haven't read to this day), but you gotta have something to end a 500-page book, am I right?

One of the main reasons why I think the movie is great is the castMy. God. Constance Wu exceeds my expectation. Henry Golding did a splendid job even though this is his first time acting. Awkwafina stole every scene she's in. Gemma Chan is as sophisticated as Astrid should be. And last but definitely not the least... Michelle Yeoh. No one could be Eleanor but her. Kudos to the casting director!

I know some of you will say it's just another predictable romcom, which I didn't disagree. But this movie changes thing. Having all Asian cast Hollywood movie is a pivotal moment for Asian to feel represented, to feel good about themselves. I'm Asian. Not East Asian, but South-East Asian with Middle-Eastern blood. In terms of looks, I can't say I feel represented. But for now, having a Hollywood movie filmed in Malaysia and Singapore, talking about familiar cuisines in familiar places is enough. Moreover a very enjoyable one? I'm content.

CRAZY RICH ASIANS | PAPER VS SCREEN
the winner is......... SCREEN! 
(may not happen often)

Comments